If you’ve heard about the Cover Project you know what this’ll be about. I won’t be presenting anything new or revolutionary, just my own covers and a small walkthrough on how I made them myself.
First I had to order the cases. Up until half a year ago I didn’t know where to find any cases in good condition and for a good price. Then I found a seller on Ebay UK who sells cases for a favorable price, even when considering that shipping was added. And these are brand new official cases with the GBA game slot which comes in handy when you’re going to use them for Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance games.
And here’s one of the cases, whith a slot for a GBA game, a DS game and a place to hold game manuals. Just be careful to check whether or not there is a GBA slot as the newer cases don’t have it.
Here’s Metroid Zero Mission which turned out very well. The quality of the print depends on the quality of the cover that you’re using, but even those games with a bit worse quality (where there aren’t any good cover scans available) you won’t really notice the difference. Whether you use an inkjet printer or a color laser is up to you as the newer inkjets print with good quality, and in my opinion it’s simply a matter of cost. While an inkjet printer costs less up front when compared to a color laser printer, though color lasers are much cheaper these days (I got mine for about 150 dollars) you’ll likely pay less in the long run if you go for the laser one. Calculations all over the net show that the ink for the inkjets costs more in the long run when compared to the toner for the laser printer. Another thing is that the ink dries up if you don’t use the inkjet frequently, while the toner stays fresh during hiatuses. I chose a laser printer because of this, also I thought I could print my drawings and such as well.
A closer look at the inside of the case.
The case with a GBA cartridge in its slot.
If you’re going to have a Gameboy game, which is longer than an Advance game, you’ll see that the lower ridge is in the way. That means we’ll have to cut it off, which might prove to be a difficult task without the correct tools.
I used a sharp hobby knife to cut the ridge longitudinally a few times first, or else it’d be too difficult to cut it horisontally along the base, something I experienced firsthand.
Then I cut it along the base.
And here’s my Wario Land cart (worn for the better) as an example. This feels… magnificent. Is this what people call… a nerdgasm?
These are all the games I’ve made boxes for so far, there are 20 more cases on their way for which I have 17 games to work with, the rest will be spares for games to come.
I’ll be fixing up the next boxes that are on their way, and since Universal Game Cases are so darn expensive over here (100 dollars for 50 of them) I’m working on something else… I think I’ll use VHS cases from the end of the 90’s, those transparent smaller ones which can hold an N64, NES and SNES game without much manipulation, and they’re fairly easy to find for 1 Dime each. We’ll see though, the biggest challenge will be matching the prints to be the same size as the cases, but I think I’ll manage.
And that’s it for now! Stay tuned for more!